Or… er… not.

Interesting discussions yesterday over the potential validity (none) of the conspiracy theories surrounding the Boston bombings.

I’m not going to link to any of them – you can go google “loony tunes, boston bombings” if you want to read more.

However, I was sent this at the height of the manhunt for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev:

bostYou can click the picture for a larger version with bigger writing

Or… er… not.

Much like those annoying Sunday Times or City Press headlines, everyone remembers the story, and you can slip in a quiet retraction on page 79 (or not if you prefer) which 0.1% of the people who read the original make-believe will read, leaving 99.9% of the population believing that what you said was true.

My publishing the above image is just a little personal stand against that modus operandi and should serve as a reminder that you shouldn’t believe everything you read on the internet – not least the people who are telling you not to believe everything that you read on the internet.

I recognise the fact that some people may find me slightly hypocritical in suggesting, here on the internet, that you shouldn’t believe the people on the internet who are telling you not to believe everything you read on the internet, but really, you just shouldn’t.

Question everything. Except me.

Leave a Reply