Yesterday was a lovely family day out in the Cape Winelands, and one of the highlights for me was a visit to the Eagle Encounters Rehabilitation Centre at Spier. Lots of birds on display there (these are the 35% who can’t be returned to the wild for various reasons, who make the cash so that the centre can return the other 65% back to nature), including (but not limited to): secretarybirds, vultures, a million owls, several (or more) eagles, hawks of all shapes and sizes and this Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus caeruleus):

…who was very happy to pose for me in the late afternoon sun.

I’m still in the process of uploading some of the several hundred pics I took throughout the day, but I’ll be sure to let you know when I have.

Leave a Reply