Apparently, it’s going to be a full on nasty afternoon and night weather wise: cold, wet, windy. A typical winter storm as we… er… head towards the end of winter, then.
The City seem more concerned about this one than usual though and have issued several warnings via radio, TV, the interweb and social media. We’re looking at snowfalls, landslides and – mystifyingly, “high fire danger” in the Karoo today.
And yes, probably snow on Table Mountain. Just much rain here right now though.
Anyway, it’s never a bad idea to have some emergency numbers to hand, should there be an emergency and you want to tell someone about it, so here you go:
- Flooding, blocked drains and service disruptions – 0860 103 089 or SMS 31373
- Electricity outages/disruptions – 0860 103 089 or SMS 31220.
- Road Closures, delays on roadways and deviations – 0800 65 64 63
- Weather Reports – Cape Town Weather Office (021 934 0749/0831), weatherline (083 123 0500), listen to alerts on the radio and television or visit www.weathersa.co.za
- Emergencies – 107 from a landline or 021 480 7700 from a cellphone
The sooner you phone, the sooner help will arrive.
Bearing in mind that last line, I’ve given each of the numbers a quick call already: it pays to be prepared.